Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am not a morning person...I have never been a morning person, nor do I plan on ever becoming one! When I was in high school, we had to do double busing, which meant we started an hour before the elementary kids. This in turn meant I was on the bus by 7 am at the latest. I could barely even function until we started 4th period after lunch. I thought life would be so much better when I was done. Stupid girl! In Grade 12 I worked as a farm labourer and my work days started at 5a.m. most days. The good news it was close. I would get out of bed at 4:45 and drive to work in my pjs. I'd shower in and begin my day. And beginning my day usually meant calling Korey's mom and getting her to kick him out of bed. I'd then have to see who was sleeping outside in their trucks. I'd wake them up and then we'd start our 12hr days. After working this job for two years, you'd think that motherhood sleep patterns would have been easy. Again stupid girl!!!

The past 11months have occurred under a sleep-deprived fog. I have gotten strange looks for the things I have said, done, not done, etc. I used to never leave the house without my makeup. Now I check my shoulders for puke and snot and head out the door. It was clear to me last week that this wasn't enough when I showed up to ball practise and noticed a sweet potato hand print on my bum. In 4weeks, I return to work. This means four weeks to try to become organized. As I lay in bed this morning at 6am with a wide awake 11month old, I thought about how my life has changed...Two years ago, my fantasies may have involved doctors by the names of McSteamy and McDreamy. One year ago I thought on a Sunday morning, we'd all lay in bed and cuddle and relax. Today as the 11month old amusement park crawled over me, poking me in the face and my husband snored obliviously beside me, I realized my fantasy from two years ago has changed dramatically. Now in my dreams, McSteamy would say on a Sunday morning, "Go back to sleep, I've got the baby" and I"d sleep until at least 8am! And wake up to a clean house and waffles...real waffles.

My favourite coffee cup said "I'll rise, but I refuse to shine." Ironically it disappeared the day I went to the hospital to have Ayla. I may still hate morning, but waking up to hear someone singing in her crib and seeing her whole face light up the minute she sees me makes it all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment