Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ball tournies, SUPERMOMS and pig roasts...now thats a summer weekend

I had a fantastic weekend for so many reasons...The first being it summer and a weekend!

Friday night I popped in to a a local ball tournament to have a drink and take in some of a game. This is the first year my husband isn't playing ball, so it feels strange only going to one game a week. I was missing our "summer friends..." They are the people we used to see 4 days a week min from mid-May to mid-Sept and this summer has felt empty without them. I couldn't stay long but it was nice. And I managed to get the important things squeezed in...Had a drink, saw Dabble, watched an amazing catch, caught up with cousins and nearly swallowed a june bug! I LOVE slowpitch! The plan was to return the next day with the kiddo, but the rain!

The Rain!!! Saturday the hubby was helping my uncle with moving. I had worked all week and took a Mommy and Ayla day! I felt a little guilty for not helping with the move, but I decided I would've felt more guilty had I sent Ayla to the sitters 6days in a row. Saturday was the Teddy Bear Play day, so we made plans to meet up with friends and be part of the parade and then take in the activities at the park. We got there before everyone else, so we dropped off library books and got in some reading time! Ayla loves the library!!! When we got back outside, it had started to drizzle. I was keen to bail at that point!!! But of course there were the SUPERMOMS! The moms who got out of their minivans and unloaded kids clad in matching raincoats and rubber boots, the moms who had underwater cameras so their tikes could take pictures in the rain, the moms who make the rest of us want to go home and hide our heads in shame. So as dozens of SUPERMOM eyes watched me exit the library, I knew I wasn't going to load my kid in the car. Instead I pulled out the stroller and the rain cover and the teddy bear (who I cursing at that moment...it it wasn't for the teddy bears, there would be no reason for a teddy bear play day). Ayla thought this was all great fun and chatted away with her best friend who sat in a plastic-clad stroller beside her. The parade got underway after hearing staff say that Environment Canada called for 1mm of rain all day! As we matched down Main st, we discovered that the police who were to stop traffice got called away. So the brave Early Years staff and a local radio station vehicle stopped traffic. We had just reached the halfway march when the drizzle became rain. In a few short minutes, it became a downpour! Traffic was now stopping all on its own, as people stared and laughed at the parents pushing strollers and pulling wagons! My friend and I wanted to bail mid-parade, but she had brought her mom!!! I thought the SUPERMOMS were bad, I guess the SUPERGRANDMAS are worse!!! We were not going to be allowed to bail! With only three blocks to go, the thunder and lightening started so the umbrellas had to go! At this point the SUPERMOMS were breaking into camp songs and still smiling (and had remembered waterproof mascara)! Needless to say by the time we got to the park, we were soaked and the kids were finally grumpy! We left the now screaming tikes with SUPERGRANDMA and got to run back in the pouring rain to get our cars. When Mommy and Ayla got home, we crawled into jammies, turned up the heat and watched a movie.

When Daddy got home, we had to get ready to go to a pig roast. This meant Ayla and I had to put on real clothes. The good news was that we had fun as a family. With our schedules, we don't do things as a whole family as often as we should. Us ladies spent the evening planning our camping trip for Aug! Very excited!!! It was a late, but enjoyable evening! Thanks for having us Kev and Laurie!

Sunday was low-key. Brandon had a competion, so Ayla and I met up with Natasha and went for a run. There were hills and a stroller to push so I didn't make it through the whole thing! Natasha on the other hand did!!! Great job Tash!

Nothing went as planned, but thats the joy of a summer weekend! However next summer, I'll pray to the teddy bear gods for a sunny day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment